Thought I'd share this little secret for all of you Windows XP users. We all know Windows XP has a built in CD-burning tool right? Well, take things a step further by adding the capability of creating and burning ISO files with Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder.
What is an ISO file? Basically it is a 'wrapped' file of a CD or DVD. With this tool you can insert your favorite CD or DVD and save it as an *.iso file. You can then copy that file to a jump drive, external hard drive (or some other medium) and use it later. With other utilities, you can "mount" ISO files as another drive letter or with this tool, simply burn a copy of the CD/DVD.
Note there are 2 versions to download and install; one for people running Windows XP Service Pack 1 and another for people running Windows XP Service Pack 2. This is not junkware or spyware, but rather a great tool to have! Download it here: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Monday, June 26, 2006
Well, for those of you whom are anxiously awaiting a new upgrade to the Windows XP operating system, your time is coming. Windows Vista, the next version of the Windows operating system, is in limited beta and I've been lucky enough to get a copy of it. The download from Microsoft was short lived as the word spread about this highly anticipated beta release.
I loaded this up on a Dell Latitude C640 laptop (P4 1.8Ghz with 512Mb of RAM) a few weeks ago. The install is lengthy (took maybe an hour using the DVD) but worth it. The Dell laptop didn't have too many issues. I did have to manually insall the network card driver as well as the video driver; once that was done, I was able to get an even newer driver for them through Windows Update.
This laptop is a decent machine for Windows XP but unfortunetly this is not a prime candidate for Vista. Rating a "1" on a built in performance rating application natively built into Windows Vista, It lacks the advanced video card capability to run the Aero feature of Vista. (Aero is a nice GUI that makes Windows more exciting to look at).
Overall, Vista is pretty dang cool. I would say it a cross between Windows XP, Mac OS X and a linux flaor, such as Ubuntu; right up my alley. I am sure that most of use will need to purchase a new machine to fully take advantage of using this OS to its potential, but I think it will be worth it. Vista will be made available to regular consumers in 2007.
Thursday, June 22, 2006
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Gavin had his first t-ball 'game' last weekend. He is on the Orange Otters and did great his first time out. He's the only lefty on the team, so he threw off the others players! ;) The only downside to it was the fact that I lost my baseball glove! After having the same glove since junior high...of all times and places, I lft it at Gavin's first t-ball game. Oh well. Gavin has several other games throughout the summer.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Here's a nice little bit of humor for ya. This one was forwarded to me by Doug Faffler.
The International Rules of Manhood
- Under no circumstances may two men share an umbrella.
- It is ok for a man to cry under the following circumstances:
- When a heroic dog dies to save its master.
- The moment Angelina Jolie starts unbuttoning her blouse.
- After wrecking your boss' car.
- One hour, 12 minutes, 37 seconds into "The Crying Game".
- When she is using her teeth.
- Any Man who brings a camera to a bachelor party may be legally killed and eaten by his buddies.
- Unless he murdered someone in your family, you must bail a friend out of jail within 12 hours.
- If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off limits forever, unless you actually marry her.
- Moaning about the brand of free beer in a buddy's fridge is forbidden. However, complain at will if the temperature is unsuitable.
- No man shall ever be required to buy a birthday present for another man. In fact, even remembering your buddy's birthday is strictly optional.
- On a road trip, the strongest bladder determines pit stops, not the weakest.
- When stumbling upon other guys watching a sporting event, you may ask the score of the game in progress, but you may never ask who is playing.
- You may flagellate in front of a woman only after you have brought her to climax. If you trap her head under the covers for the purpose of flatulent entertainment, she's officially your girlfriend.
- It is permissible to drink a fruity alcohol drink only when you're sunning on a tropical beach... and it's delivered by a topless supermodel... and it's free.
- Only in situations of moral and/or physical peril are you allowed to kick another guy in the nuts.
- Unless you're in prison, never fight naked.
- Friends don't let friends wear Speedos. Ever. Issue closed.
- If a man's fly is down, that's his problem, you didn't see anything.
- Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated as spies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to drink as much as the other sports watchers.
- A man in the company of a hot, suggestively dressed woman must remain sober enough to fight.
- Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of pizza, but not both, that's just greedy.
- If you compliment a guy on his six-pack, you'd better be talking about his choice of beer.
- Never join your girlfriend or wife in discussing a friend of yours, except if she's withholding sex pending your response.
- Phrases that may NOT be uttered to another man while lifting weights:
- Yeah, Baby, Push it!
- C'mon, give me one more! Harder!
- Another set and we can hit the showers!
- Never talk to a man in a bathroom unless you are on equal footing; i.e. Both urinating, both waiting in line, etc. For all other situations, an almost imperceptible nod is all the conversation you need.
- Never allow a telephone conversation with a woman to go on longer than you are able to have sex with her. Keep a stopwatch by the phone. Hang up if necessary.
- The morning after you and a girl who was formerly "just a friend" have carnal, drunken, monkey sex, the fact that you're feeling weird and guilty is no reason for you not to nail each other again before the discussion about what a big mistake it was occurs.
- It is acceptable for you to drive her car. It is not acceptable for her to drive yours.
- Thou shall not buy a car in the colors of brown, pink, lime green, orange or sky blue.
- The girl who replies to the question "What do you want for Christmas?" with "If you loved me, you'd know what I want!" gets an Xbox. End of story.
- There is no reason for guys to watch Ice Skating or Men's Gymnastics. Ever.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Yep, Ethan has passed Ethan up on learning how to bike. Ethan, the little man with no fear is on his way to becoming the next BMX superstar! Check out this movie clip made from Apple's iMovie HD:
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Started in early summer of 2005, the stairs for the lower landing pad have been complete. I do want to go and tweak them a bit; need more gap between boards but overall done! Only time will tell on how this EON decking will hold up.